TO: All Ohio Technical College Students, Staff, Visitors and Their Families
Update: July 13, 2020 at 11.15 am Eastern:
Ohio Technical College opened for all current students on June 29th. Enrollment is still open for select programs during the remainder of 2020. There are also 2021 start dates available that begin as soon as January 2021. For more information, please contact your admissions advisor or inquire on the website and someone will reach out to speak to you further.
The following COVID-19 procedures and policies have been put into place:
The college will be incorporating many changes in an effort to keep employees, students and visitors to OTC as safe as possible during the COVID-19 pandemic. Here are some of the policies that will be implemented:
- Face masks or cloth facial coverings are required. One face mask and one face shield will be distributed to every student. Additional reusable masks are available for a small fee through the Student Services office.
- Employees and students must rigorously practice hand hygiene and cough etiquette. Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after you have been in a public place, or after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing. Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands. If soap and water are not available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- All employees will be required to clean and sanitize their workspaces and common spaces throughout the day, between shifts and at the close of each day. This includes tables, doorknobs, light switches, countertops, handles, desks, phones and keyboards. Classrooms will be cleaned on an enhanced schedule.
- Social distancing guidelines will be strictly enforced requiring individuals to maintain at least 6 feet of separation from others. Supervisors and department heads will be assessing each workspace and classroom to determine an appropriate plan for social distancing in each area. This may include the installation of plexiglass, face shields, modifications to traffic flow and/or changes to work schedules. Replace in-person meetings with video- or tele-conference calls when possible.
- All members of the college community must self-monitor daily for symptoms. COVID-19 symptoms include the following:
- Fever (over 100° F or higher)
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Sore throat
- New loss of taste or smell
- Chill and or body aches
- Nausea, diarrhea, vomiting
- Congestion / Runny nose
- Employees showing symptoms of COVID-19 should leave work immediately and seek medical evaluation by calling your Primary Care Physician, or your local urgent care center. Students showing COVID-19 symptoms should isolate from others immediately and seek medical evaluation by calling your Primary Care Physician. The Ohio Department of Health website can also answer questions regarding the Coronavirus: https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/covid-19/home Employees and students who are diagnosed with probable or confirmed COVID-19 will be contacted by their local health department and will be given additional guidance and instructions.
We also would like to remind you that the Career Services department at OTC remains open and is ready to help OTC alumni find employment in the many needed essential positions OTC trains for. You can contact them at firstname.lastname@example.org
Original Post: March 23, 2020 at 3:00 pm Eastern, item in green updated April 3, 2020.
As you know, pursuant to federal guidelines and a state of Ohio Department of Health Order, Ohio Tech has suspended its campus activities indefinitely. In order to centrally answer a number of questions that students and parents may have, we have prepared the following responses to these Frequently Asked Questions:
- Has Ohio Technical College (OTC) closed? No, although all classes have been suspended, we are maintaining an off-site operational staff to carry on business operations and communications.
- When is school starting again? We do not expect to resume classes until we are cleared to do so under Ohio Department of Health orders and in accordance with CDC guidelines. Due to the ever-changing nature of this pandemic, we can’t yet establish a firm date to resume, but when we do know we will convey this information to all students/families with as much advance notice as possible.
- How will I be notified? OTC will post relevant information and any announcements to its Coronavirus web page (OhioTech.edu/virus). We will also use the College’s Text Message System (if you are not already signed up, you may do so at www.OhioTech.edu/text).
- Will this suspension of classes extend my graduation date? At present, we will resume each program at the same point where it was interrupted, and in general the expected graduation dates will be extended accordingly.
- Do I need to make payments to the school while classes are suspended? Payments are deferred until classes are permitted to reconvene.
- Will student loan refund checks/VA Benefits be issued during this suspension? Just as the school will not collect payments during this period, it will likewise issue no refunds. Any veteran receiving BAH (Basic Housing Allowance) who would have ended a quarter on March 26th should have received payment April 1st for the month of March. Any veteran receiving BAH who was in the middle of the quarter that started February 17th will get paid for 28 days after training was suspended (on or about April 14). Because graduation dates will now be extended (based on the amount of time classes are suspended), the VA has reassured veterans that housing allowances will extend over the full term of their program as extended. Questions regarding this matter my be directed to Taylor at email@example.com.
- What about my student housing? Since all student housing at Ohio Technical College is provided through third parties (including Collegiate Housing and other independent landlords), all questions in this regard should be directed to the appropriate provider. Collegiate Housing may be contacted via phone at 1-800-U-MOVE-IN and email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- How can I contact the school with additional questions? During this period of suspension, the best way to contact the school is via email: CoronaInfo@OhioTech.edu. You may also leave a voice message at 216-881-1700 Ext. 139.
Please take every precaution to remain healthy and protect the health of your family and friends. We look forward to welcoming you back to Ohio Tech soon.