TO: All Ohio Technical College Students, Staff, Visitors and Their Families
Updated: March 23, 2020 at 3:00 pm Eastern, item in green updated April 3, 2020.
As you know, pursuant to federal guidelines and a state of Ohio Department of Health Order, Ohio Tech has suspended its campus activities indefinitely. In order to centrally answer a number of questions that students and parents may have, we have prepared the following responses to these Frequently Asked Questions:
- Has Ohio Technical College (OTC) closed? No, although all classes have been suspended, we are maintaining an off-site operational staff to carry on business operations and communications.
- When is school starting again? We do not expect to resume classes until we are cleared to do so under Ohio Department of Health orders and in accordance with CDC guidelines. Due to the ever-changing nature of this pandemic, we can’t yet establish a firm date to resume, but when we do know we will convey this information to all students/families with as much advance notice as possible.
- How will I be notified? OTC will post relevant information and any announcements to its Coronavirus web page (OhioTech.edu/virus). We will also use the College’s Text Message System (if you are not already signed up, you may do so at www.OhioTech.edu/text).
- Will this suspension of classes extend my graduation date? At present, we will resume each program at the same point where it was interrupted, and in general the expected graduation dates will be extended accordingly.
- Do I need to make payments to the school while classes are suspended? Payments are deferred until classes are permitted to reconvene.
- Will student loan refund checks/VA Benefits be issued during this suspension? Just as the school will not collect payments during this period, it will likewise issue no refunds. Any veteran receiving BAH (Basic Housing Allowance) who would have ended a quarter on March 26th should have received payment April 1st for the month of March. Any veteran receiving BAH who was in the middle of the quarter that started February 17th will get paid for 28 days after training was suspended (on or about April 14). Because graduation dates will now be extended (based on the amount of time classes are suspended), the VA has reassured veterans that housing allowances will extend over the full term of their program as extended. Questions regarding this matter my be directed to Taylor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- What about my student housing? Since all student housing at Ohio Technical College is provided through third parties (including Collegiate Housing and other independent landlords), all questions in this regard should be directed to the appropriate provider. Collegiate Housing may be contacted via phone at 1-800-U-MOVE-IN and email at email@example.com.
- How can I contact the school with additional questions? During this period of suspension, the best way to contact the school is via email: CoronaInfo@OhioTech.edu. You may also leave a voice message at 216-881-1700 Ext. 139.
Please take every precaution to remain healthy and protect the health of your family and friends. We look forward to welcoming you back to Ohio Tech soon.