International Students

International Students

Group shot of 4 international students in front of a world map.
OTC/PSI is proud to have students from all over the globe.

Ohio Technical College Welcomes International Students!

International students must meet the general admissions requirements for all training programs.  Ohio Technical College and the PowerSport Institute do not teach high school curriculum, nor is basic fundamental mechanic training repeated. Each student must meet the minimum requirements prior to starting class.

All applicants must be beyond the compulsory high school age. Students who wish to enter a training program are required to provide a copy of their diploma, high school transcript or GED as proof of graduation.  In addition to the admissions requirements, all non-immigrant applicants who have applied to enter the U.S. for educational training, must secure and provide documentation of M-1 visa status prior to their scheduled start date.

Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status – Form I-20

Once a non-immigrant student is admitted into a program, a Form I-20 is generated and mailed to their attention. The Form I-20 allows the student to apply for their student visa and is only valid for 12 months. In order to obtain the I-20, you must be admitted to the college.

Furthermore, the United States Federal Government requires that international students prove that they have sufficient funds to live and study in the United States. This is not a requirement for admission to Ohio Technical College, but is a requirement in order to receive the I-20 and enter the country.

M-1 Student Visa

International students coming to the United States will be required to obtain an M-1 Student Visa. The visa is issued by the US Embassy or Consulate in their country of citizenship. The student will need the Form I-20 provided by Ohio Technical College as well as their I-90 receipt and enrollment paperwork to apply for the student visa.

While studying in the United States M-1 students must be proficient in the written and verbal English language and keep their student status current. Their status relates to the purpose or reason for why you want to come to the United States. If an international student fails his/her program, are financially interrupted from their program, or withdraw from their program, he/she will lose their M-1 status with the school.

The U.S. Department of State issues a visa based on the intended purpose.  If the Department of State issues an M-1 student visa, this means that the student is coming to the United States to study in a vocational program.  International students must enter the United States no more than 30 days before their program of study begins.

Training & Employment for M-1 Students

M-1 students are not eligible for employment during their program of study, but may be eligible to obtain authorization for optional practical training (OPT) upon completion of their vocational program.

If a student wants to participate in practical training employment in the United States, he/she should talk with the DSO (Designated School Official) about their options. Practical training employment requires the DSO’s recommendation and authorization from USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services).

Below are the links to the appropriate forms for international students.

Form # Form Type Link to Form
I-901 (SEVIS Fee)
I-94 (Arrival/ Departure)
I-539 (Application to Extend/ Change Status)
I-765 (Application for Employment Authorization)

Is OTC Right For You? Get More Info…

For more information on automotive career training opportunities and to explore if OTC is right for you, fill out the form on this page.

To speak with a knowledgeable OTC Admissions Advisor right away, call [phone-link location=””].